Thursday, October 2, 2008

softy

last night i got ready to go to bed and found this already on my bed.

hmmmm...when, exactly, did she become an up-on-the-bed dog? Paul pretended he didn't know she was there but i think that was just an act. he's also been letting her up on the leather couches under the ruse of "well, only when we're on here and invited her."

But, good news on our boy. Last night we were paying the bills and got a phone call from "Magnolia Pump". I said "I'm not getting that, it's a telemarketing call." and we went back to paying the bills. The answering machine picked up and we heard "This is Becky from Wheaten Rescue, we got your application for Corney..." our eyes got big as saucers and I whipped the phone out of the cradle to catch her. We got to talk to her for almost 45 minutes. She said "I'm so excited to see an application for Corney. He's the rescue that we've had the longest and you are the only application that has come in for him." !!!???!!! WHAT !!!???!!! I asked why she thinks that might be and the only reason she can think is that he was dyed pink. I said "that's what we loved about him!" We went on to talk and she said "now he's an alpha male, is your female submissive?" and I told her "yes, this is one of our concerns, we don't want to take him on if he's so dominant that it will crush her spirit. She was the timid puppy of the pack and we have worked really hard from the day we brought her home to socialize her with people, kids, dogs and don't want another dog to come in and push her down." she said "I have a timid puppy of the pack too and she flourished when we got the alpha. It just gives them someone to follow and guide them. Corney is alpha but he is in no way aggressive." Ok-good to know-that was my biggest fear. We went on to talk about food and vets and grooming and all of that we have under control from having Tatum. So, our next step is to have our references checked. They will be doing that the next couple days. Then they will put in a request for a home check and that could take up to a month. They just have to wait for a volunteer to be willing to come to our home and interview me, Paul and Tatum. I asked what they are looking for in a home check. She said "We just want to be sure that you guys are going to provide a dog friendly home and that you aren't the type of people that would chain him up to a tree out front and leave him there." Oh boy-do they have a surprise waiting for them when they find out what a PRINCESS we have created in Tatum. I think all of that sounds promising. Of course, no hopes can be too far up until after we pass the home check and then we have 2 weeks to pick up our new baby boy from Kansas City, MO.
We kept asking Tatum if she wanted a baby brother and now we've changed the question to "would you like to be a baby sister." She just looks at us like "I'm not sure what that is going to entail so let's discuss."

5 comments:

Robbyn said...

Wow, another pup! That's so exciting, and he is super-cute, too. I hope you can get him soon. Good luck!

Nicole said...

where is your big 4 poster bed?!

The Boss of this page said...

that poor bed moved from 3 times in illinois, then to colorado, DC, and then florida. it didn't have another move in it. So we left it with the house for our renters to have. I know-I loved that bed. Paul said it creaked. ??

Sandra said...

I am so glad you're getting another pup! A playmate for Tatum is so cool! Both our Rhodesian Ridgebacks are rescue dogs and although we got them together, I'm glad we have two because they love each other to bits and look out for one another.

Mar said...

my hubby does the same thing with the cat on the bed. The rule is No Cats on the Bed....his rule is No cats on the bed if my wife isnt around to see it. Like the fur all over the bed isnt a tell-tale sign? Ugh....its my pet peeve.