Saturday, October 4, 2008

Momma I'm NAKED!!

Tatum got groomed today. I told them we've been having trouble with her legs matting up since she gets her feet wet so much and they said they could shave her legs down a bit. They THOUGHT they would be able to fade it in, but would still have to cut some of her back fur off otherwise she would look like a cotton ball on toothpicks...unfortunately when they went to "fade" the fur it ended up much like my bangs in the 3rd grade. I kept trying and trying to get a straight line until I stood back and looked and realized I had cut my bangs so short I couldn't even get the scissors any closer to my head. Ya....she came home like this:


I know it will grow out BUT I asked them to keep her bangs long, it's really called their "veil" for wheaten's, and look. These were my exact words, "Last time she came in her bangs got cut like a brick wall, flat. I want the top of her bangs to stay long." Now, I understand, or can at least force myself to reason with the excuse of "we couldn't get her hair to fade with out cutting her back fur." But I cannot reason out why they cut the top of her head like a poodle. I guess we won't be getting the "she's the cutest dog I've ever seen!" comments at the dog park next weekend. AND all of this and they didn't send her home with a bandana. that's her favorite part of getting groomed. I said this last time, and I am saying it again, this may be the last time we go to that groomer. From the back you can see her raison. (It's just under her tail if you catch my drift.) And although I love everything about her, I don't know that I want her raison to show for all the world.

Anyhow, on news about our Giligan boy...I'm on the rescue email list and tonight I came home to find this email in my box! This must mean we passed everything else. Now unless we give them bad vibes it looks like we'll have a new addition soon!
AAAAAAHHH!!! And I just realized that now when you go here you can see a little red box on his picture that says "HP" with means "Home Check in Progress"!!!!

S'Wheat Rescues is in need of a homecheck in the
following area:

city: Longmont
state: Colorado
country: usa
zip: 80501

If you can help, please email directly to
cheryl@wheatenterri errescue. org
What is a homecheck?

Basically it just consists of calling the potential
adopter to setup and appointment and then going by and
meeting them and giving me your gut reaction. The
potential adopters have already been interviewed by a
coordinator by phone and had their references screened
prior to the homecheck being scheduled. The homecheck
is the final step in being approved to adopt a dog. I
generally ask people to tell me if they would be
willing to leave their dog if they were going on
vacation.

If the yard is fenced it needs to be checked to make
sure the fence is secure, gates latch, no gaps a dog
can get through, etc. The only "rule" is that everyone
who lives in the home, including household pets, must
be there for the homecheck.

There are no forms to fill out or checklists to go
by - you simply email me your opinion after you are
done and that is all there is to it!

5 comments:

Valerie Bowman said...

It comes with the territory of being a dog parent that your dog gets a bad haircut every once in a while. Having said that, if that groomer isn't listening to you, find a new groomer!

We've had bad groomers actually HURT our dogs before (clipped nails too short, etc.). It's important to get a good one. The one we have now we LOVE.

I think you should keep Corney named Corney. I LOVE that name. HA!

Del Angelo said...

You are feeling exactly the way I felt when I took Lucy in to be groomed the first time after we moved. I loved her, but hated the haircut so much I was unsure I'd be able to wait til it grew out! She looks like a shid tzu with long legs and a short tail! Poor little baby. She must be like this to help welcome Giligan and make him feel like he's found just the right home while he grows out 2. Now people will REALLY wonder what kind of dog she is! I'd say keep looking for a groomer. (At least her back end doesn't look like a bull's eye, like Lucy did! It could be worse!!)

The Boss of this page said...

Thanks guys. It makes me feel better that you both said to find another groomer. I was feeling like I might be over reacting, but since I posted this I've been finding spots where they didn't cut and it's still as long as before. She's all scraggely! I'm not even gonna tell you how much it cost. I could PUKE!

Valerie Bowman said...

Oh, one more thing. The way we found our groomer (the one we love) was to ask our vet who she took HER dogs to. Vets know the good ones!

Sandra said...

Just a comment on the "meeting" between Tatum and the new boy - have you thought about getting an animal behaviourist to assist? I had one come in to help us with the Bullterrier and the Ridgebacks, and I learnt so much from her. Plus I think the introduction was much less scary for all of us!

And for what it's worth I'd also look for a new groomer....