Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Wrong List

Ok, I haven't written about this because, let's face it, I hate to think I made a mistake. And I'm not sure "mistake" is the word I want to use but here's the background.
I could not keep working for my DC office. There were LOTS of wonderful things about that job. But. My heart could not take the roller coaster of working with some of the people I had to work with. I think about "what if I had not taken this job? what if i was still there?" ok-I know the answer, I would be on prozac. I don't want to be on prozac. So, in that sense, no, I did not make a mistake. On the other hand, my new boss, whom I will just call M'Lady, because it's nicer than "the diva", tells me everyday something I have done wrong. My heart hurts every day. So I've thought through the best way for me to deal with this. It's cynicism. Healthy, no. More fun than crying, yes. Here's my plan. Every day I will write my "things I've done wrong" in the box to the right. See it there? My Wrong List? Yes. Just look there, it will be updated daily. Sometimes twice, yes, finally a reason to check numerous times a day. I know you were trying to find ways to waste more time on the internet. So there you go. Unlimited entertainment.
Oh-and because yesterdays was so good and I hadn't thought of my battle plan yet, I'll write what I should have written yesterday:
Today I wrote an email to some clients and finished it off with "if that would make it easier for you let me know and I can arrange that." I got a phone call and then a 15 minute speech on how I should have said "if you would like that it would be my pleasure."

7 comments:

Deputy's Sister said...

I empathize! I should have done this when I started out as a new attorney downtown. It would have saved me all the medical bills I incurred from the side effects of stress b/c I internalized it all. Keep posting, I laughed :)

Brock said...

two words: micro manager.

Your boss sounds like a micro manager. Or maybe a nano manager. Possibly borderline pico manager. I work with someone (who is not my boss) that likes to try to do this with me. (and yes, she too is a woman) Why is it so hard for women in the workplace not to micromanage? Not all women do, and the ones that don't do it typically do very well in their careers.

Elizabeth Angelo said...

I lol when I read "m'lady". the new feature is funny but I hate it that you have to deal with that. yuck. my vote: a new job with better insurance. and a male boss. although i do realize there is no such thing as a perfect job . . .

Faith said...

anal much?

dang....

Anonymous said...

I agree with Liz, look for a better job or...maybe just kill her with kindness and "appreciation for the way she is helping you"??????? That would be hypocritical tho. Sorry you have one of "those".

rachelle said...

I'm still mad at her for bragging about her new grandbaby at a very insensitive time. It would be my pleasure to tell her to shove it, m'lady. Keep up the list!

Del Angelo said...

Look at it this way...you have an outlet...lots of people don't. You know what you can get her for Christmas, a planner with your name on it, and besides all this...some people just have to have the last word. Obviously M'lady is one of those. I'd be searching for a way to beat her at her own game! Good luck!