Wednesday, July 9, 2008

some call me lucky

i was telling a good friend from denver about writing and i remembered some short stories that i wrote last year. and i mean short stories, more like paragraph stories. but i'll post them because it's funny to think back. i even used capitalization.

We sold one of our two cars because I work from home and my husband does freelance design and only needs the car for meetings every now and then. But when he leaves for those meetings I feel trapped because I can’t get anywhere unless I walk. So I bought a bicycle and man do I love it. It’s green. Bright green. And it’s a beach cruiser, although it’s never made it to the beach, and I had them put collapsible baskets on the sides so I can get a whole weeks worth of groceries home from the store. It’s great. But the other thing about living in Florida is that it could rain at a moments notice. One day over my lunch hour I decided to ride a couple miles over to my sister’s house to see my niece and nephew. I love taking the back roads through the neighborhoods but there’s a little stretch that taking the back roads is just way out of the way. So I take a little two lane road that has some fast heavy traffic. I noticed though when I was leaving my sisters that there was a dark rain cloud looming over the area I had to go to get back to my house but figured at best it was a 10 minute ride. I could make it in 10 minutes and I had to get back for work. So I headed out anyway and no sooner did I get to that busy stretch of road did that rain cloud unload on me. And it continued to unload on me the entire time I was on the busy stretch of road. This is about the time I deeply regretted my wardrobe choice of a yellow tank top with a built in bra – ya right – and Bermuda shorts. Do you know that you can see straight through a yellow tank top with a built in bra when it’s soaking wet from one of Florida’s quick little showers? I noticed that once I got home. I wondered why all those guys, including the city bus driver, were so excited to honk and wave at me. It’s now referred to as my lucky yellow tank top.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

that is lucky. i just think you're super pretty and the boys like it. think road trip to boston... every truck in the state honked at us!