Saturday, July 19, 2008

i took the job

also-i took the job with the re/max office here in town. i feel so relieved to take the job. i know this is against all rules, but i called her after my doctors appointment and told her that i had a good appointment today and i wanted her to know what's going on with my husband and i before i take the job so that she could decide if that's what she really wanted. i kinda paused for her to say "oh no, please don't tell me anything more." i went on to tell her that we are wanting to start a family in the next couple of years and i didn't want to surprise her in 6 months. she asked me what my plans were after i have kids and i explained that i will always need to work, i won't be able to just stop working and i like having a career so i plan on working even after i have kids. she said "oh we welcome any children you will have. we know that that's just part of being married and that's not a problem for us at all. i had to do the same thing after i had my children." hello! could i want this job any MORE? and i told her i was glad, my husband and i had talked it over and really wanted to tell her so that she wouldn't be surprised later. i told her i knew that wasn't typical to tell a future employer but in the interview she said "at the end of the day if you don't feel right about it, don't do it." and i just really wanted her to know up front. i feel like a huge weight has been lifted just having that off of my chest. so, i start august 4th and i feel really good about it. now the next step: tell my boss on monday that i'm giving him 2 weeks notice. yikes almighty!

2 comments:

Brock said...

Just got through all the posts from yesterday - and congrats on the appointment and on taking the job - that is a lot of stuff to happen in one day - but that is all good news. I'm so glad that you are having positive steps with the RE. SUCH GOOD NEWS. And it sounds like you have been fair and honest with your new employer. That is all anyone could ask. We've learned that you can't predict what will happen in the future, but you can be honest about your expectations.

Robbyn said...

Yay! Doing virtual happy dances for you right now! Your new boss sounds pretty cool so far. I'm so glad you felt comfortable w/the decision. Big high five!

Just to let you know how bad I am at taking my own "advice," I realized late last night that I did the same thing before I started my new job w/the spin-off. I had known these folks a long time, and I was so distressed about committing to the job only to bail out on them a few months later (just had my 2nd IUI, I was hopeful). It felt dishonest to take it under those circumstances, even though I knew they legally could not turn me down for that reason. So I called up my boss and talked to him about it. VERY awkward, since I hadn't discussed this w/anyone at work previously, but he was very compassionate about it (even shared stories of his and his wife's early struggles to have kids), and then told me that they would love to have me for however long I could work for them. It was not an issue. Then I felt kind of silly even worrying about it but was relieved it was out in the open. So, just remember that when I start spouting off again, okay? :)