Sunday, March 14, 2010

family heirlooms

my grandma, mudders, makes quilts for each grandchild. a couple years ago she finished my cousin's quilt and sent it off to the quilters to be quilted and she just recently found out that they can't complete it. not sure why it took so long to decide...but it did.
so she asked me to quilt it. i'm so excited. it's a really beautiful quilt with fall/jewel toned colors and real earthy. so i headed to the library to get my favorite book, 1000 Great Quilting Designs by Luise Roberts. It's got tons of ideas. but i wandered into the wrong isle and found Pattern Motifs, a Sourcebook by Graham Leslie McCallum. Oh. Dear. if anyone ever wants to send me books-send me books on motifs. it has ideas, not many but VERY good ideas. i can't WAIT to get my hands on my cousin's quilt and get it whipped out and quilted. i've been organizing the house like crazy last week because i don't have any quilt projects and just wanted to take a bit of a break. but now, the basement is 80% done, and all i have left is the front closet (which is a den of confusion, helmets, coats, scarves, board games, light bulbs. you name it, if it shouldn't be in a closet together it is behind those doors) and lastly, my basket of bathroom-ish supplies in our closet. i need to get those sorted out and organized. but seriously-i'm talking 2 or 3 days MAX of naptime entertainment for me.

i thought i would like being a stay at home mom but i was wrong....i LOVE it.

anyway-here's a couple of my ideas for the quilt. my grandma likes the first one. (i'm not really taking votes, just posting because i love to see them.)
sorry for the glare on this one....

i really liked this one...but at a diagonal. however, the quilt is lots of squares so i think this could turn too boxie so i think i agree w/mudders that the one above will be the keeper one:

and then this for the border...but i would tweek it a little. i don't like the way the vine lays. i think the one that falls over the top should fall underneath and visa versa....i would switch it up so the did the opposite....i don't know that i'm making sense to anyone but me though:

anyway-still looking through books to make sure i'm sold on this border. i'll know more once the quilt is in my hands and i get a few stitches on it.

No comments: