Sunday, October 18, 2009

Foster Parents of the YEAR?! Really? US?!

We won foster parents of the year for our county, which i think is humbling and exciting all at once. our fellow foster mom, little brother's foster mom, nominated us, and so, got to present the award to us. at the end of the night our case worker snagged her notes and gave them to us. here's what she said:

extraordinary defined is being beyond what is usual; exceptional or remarkable.
extraordinary was john and ruth rose's 34-year commitment to the county and its children. the county created the john rose memorial award.

and while what all resource families provide for some of the greatest kids in the county is extraordinary, what a new family provided this past year certainly embodies the spirit of the roses.

tell me if any of the following scenario sounds familiar to anyone.
you are a new resource family that just needs to fill your respite (babysitting other foster kiddos) requirement to be certified for a newborn to 7-year-old child. you are scheduled to do respite this weekend when you get a call on friday morning to provide foster care for a 7 and 11 year old sisters.
you're a new family, so of course, you say yes. you have to say yes, right?
(the correct answer is no-you have every right to not accept any placement.)

oh, did we mention that they are on a strict VEGAN diet and soon after placement a five-page dissertation of what not to do, what to do and how to do it is sent from the parents.

after two months of slaving away in the kitchen, craving red meat like crazy...but losing several pounds in the process and navigating whole foods, sunflower market and vitamin cottage like pros. did you know they make vegan marshmellows? do you know how many food products contain red-dye no. 40? after tempering the emotions of the 7 year old and the hormones of the tween and providing a week of respite for the third sibling, they reluctantly transitioned the giddy children home and even graciously accepted dinner invitations from the birthparents!

after taking a brief haitus from the kitchen due to pure exhaustion, they are now head over heels for a 16 month old angel, that's at home recovering from the flu, who could not look any more like her for-now father. how social services manages to do this i don't know.

while they try to keep their feet grounded while praying for their forever child, they continue to make extraordinary efforts in the everyday lives of the children they care for.

it gives me great pleasure to present the john rose memorial award to my friends Paul & Cheri'.


it made me cry-i know-what doesn't? but most of all i was honored that we were nominated AND chosen to be foster-parents of the year. i wish the prize was a baby, but unfortunately, it is not. we did get a really nice plaque though.

9 comments:

rachelle said...

Made me cry, too. I'm so proud of you guys!!!!

Brock said...

That is amazing - and very well deserved. I'm so glad that you were recognized for all that you have invested in their lives. I'm so proud of you guys. Love you.

Faith said...

I'm teary eyed. Congratulations for being acknowledged for what you are doing well. :) love you!

none said...

how awesome was that description. And I am SO in agreement that SP sure does look like Paul :) Congrats, Cheri. I echo what was said about you. You guys definitely deserve this award. Thanks for posting this!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Congratulations! SO well deserved.

Valerie

Natalie said...

Made me cry too! You guys are awesome. :-)

Lea said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! This is so fabulous. And what a nice write-up too. Wow. :)

mudders said...

what a profitable year you have had!. I am sure the Lord is "well pleased". Keep up the good work.

Nicole said...

Cheri'~

I have no doubt that you and Paul won that award. You were never my "foster parent" but you were the best small group leader ever and they are kind of the same. You took me in, cared for me and helped me grow. You taught me how to drive. You took me to the ER when I got myself into trouble. You, a mid 20's single girl, took me, a 17 year old punk, to Boston with you to visit your college friends. What 20 something girl would do that? Not even I would I dont think. You took me camping throughout new england. You let me visit you in DC for a week. you are always so fun and I have so many darm memories of you that I will never forget because they are highlights of my life. I will always remember cape cod, you cutting pauls ear, going bowling on st. patricks day at the union, washington dc, the ghetto of NYC, missing the ferry to the statue of liberty by an hour.... I could go on and on. You have been amazing in my life and you had such a big part of my high school years. My mom never let me do anything but if I said 'with cheri' then I could do anything. You are awesome. You have such a nack for people and being able to give them something special. I think about you daily and I love you so so much.

~ Your blossoming butterfly