Thursday, January 22, 2009

me and my big mouth

tonight was another home study meeting and ugh. i'm not sure how it went. she smokes so i don't think she's a homeschooler and here's why i'm concerned. she asked us how we felt about socializing children and i said "well, i've known some homeschoolers and....." and then Paul said, "Cheri', you don't know if she's a homeschooler." and now i think-oh crap. what if she is! but she smokes...i've never known a smoking home school mom...have you? so i called my friend gina to talk me off this cliff because i'm feeling pretty hopeless and big mouthed. and i told her what i said and she was talking about how i just talk openly and i said "ya, because i'm an open book!" and she agreed with me way too quickly which made me laugh because of the way she said it. can't remember now her exact words but it made me feel better.
ugh ugh ugh! it's just so nerve wracking because you know she's judging every word you say and then she's going to write a report about it and show people what she thinks! but we learned that we have to read about child development. even if we wanted teenagers they probably wouldn't give us the bad one because "we don't have alot of experience with kids." ok. i knew that we don't have ALOT of experience....but still...it just kinda sucks. it makes me feel like we are hopeless. ok-i'm gonna go cry and curl up to paul.

5 comments:

rachelle said...

Sweetie, you should have called me. I have tons of homeschoolers in my house every day (about 60 families on my roster, I would guess) and ZERO of them have ever smelled of smoke, and none of their clothes have ever smelled of smoke. Homeschoolers do not smoke. And as far as I understand, they're not judging your every word, they just want to make sure you're not abusive. But I know it's hard. You will do great, I promise! And you wouldn't want teenagers with tons of problems right now anyway. It'll be OK!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I think the general consensus among homeschoolers is that smoking is the fast track to hell. Although maybe if I homeschool the girls I'll take up smoking just for kicks. And Cheri', I'm sure they have heard ALL kinds of things - I seriously doubt your opinions on socialization have rocked her world :)

All Girls 1337 said...

Wow...Cheri...I lost something here...why the homeschooling issue? I'll have to go back and see if I can find the connection...BUT...you are going to do well...you just must remember to BREATH! The fostering home study is just to assure you are safe and able to follow the rules of care...you really are above average in the pool, trust me!!!

Nicole said...

you have lots of experience with teens... were you not a small group leader?! and if you could handle me then Im sure you could handle some other teens. or a child. but im just sayin- i gave you a run for your money so I think you're more than qualified!

Brock said...

ya, I was thinking "Upword", "Timber-lee" ??? Hello! And all the work you did in Deerfield and at the coffee shop in downtown Chicago. What was it called? Aeriopogas?